Unfortunately, many people believe that they cannot accomplish goals because they are “lacking something” or that something or someone is “against” them such as age, failures in the past, current weight, economic level, environment, family, spouse, physical limitations etc. I did this for a long time as well. On the other side of the coin however is the person who has accomplished the goal you are seeking and had greater or equal “disabilities” that would inhibit the change they are seeking. They were able to accomplish the goal despite the assumption that they are at a disadvantage. Below are some examples of some of the self=talk or justifications I and others have used to create barriers to our goals:
- I have tried in the past to lose weight and I have never been able to lose it and keep it off. I am starting to believe that I am just supposed to be this weight.
- My husband does not support me with my health goals. It is harder for me because he brings all of the bad food into the house and tempts me.
- My [mother/coaches/teachers/classmates] criticized me a lot about my weight when I was young. I now feel that whenever people talk to me about my weight whether it be doctors, trainers, or friends I automatically feel “attacked.”
- People don’t understand how hard it is for me. Other people can lose weight and eat anything and I put on weight just looking at food. I get angry at people who are skinny and overeat and feel that it is unfair to me.
- All of my friends eat unhealthy foods and drink. It is hard to resist and everyone gives me a hard time when I try to eat healthy foods when we are out.
You do not have to surrender to the barriers that you have whether they be physically with genetics or the failures that you have experienced in the past. Beginning today, you can take control of the food that you put into your body and the amount of exercise you do. Many of us have predispositions that lead us to gaining weight easily, impulsive responses, addictions, and other unhealthy outcomes. Please choose to be as healthy as you can for yourself and those who love you! Please choose to have people in your life that will challenge you to be healthier and ultimately happier! Please give energy and thought to only how you can be successful and healthy today! Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and why they call it the present! BE YOUR OWN MIRACLE!